Thing 13: Attend a 21st Century Conference

I had a tough time deciding which session to attend because several of them sounded interesting to me but I ended up attending Everything Apps for the K12 Educator.  I have 5 ipads in my classroom and I have access to an ipad cart so every student in the class could work on one if I wanted but I don’t feel like I do enough with them.  I chose this session so I would gain more ideas of types of apps that I could use with my students.  I liked how the presenter categorized the apps by type:  assesment, ebooks, storytelling etc.  I was most interested in the storytelling apps for my students.  She suggested blurb mobile, toontastic and sock puppets (which I had heard of but never used).  She also talked about a language arts app called Milly and Molly Stories which sounded cool because they students can read along with the stories.  I thought this was a great independent app for my kids and a great way for them to recognize their sight words in a context.

My only complaint is that I wish I had an ipad with me while listening to the session.  I am a visual learner and I would have liked to pause the session and play with the apps she was talking about to get a better understanding of how and if I would use them in my class.

One thought on “Thing 13: Attend a 21st Century Conference

1. Amy,

I also attended the same conference you did. I was also intrigued by the Milly and Molly app… maybe we could chat about how to use it in the classroom! I also wish that I had had my iPad in front of me and that she had gone into some more detail about the apps.